Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Sneak Peak!

I apologize in the lateness of this weeks post. I am working on a commissioned piece, and should have a final image to post soon. In the mean time, here's a teaser....




This is just a scan of the rough sketch on the canvas. The final is acrylic on a 11 x 14 canvas.  As I was prepping the canvas, I was brought back to my days in college, spending late nights stretching canvas and painting on many layers of gesso. I had forgotten how relaxing I found the methodolical task of stretching a cavas! It's a good way to start off the relationship with the painting, one staple at a time. And the sound of the thump the taught cavas makes when it's done is so satisfing, just like a drum!

Besides using this piece for my portfolio, I am also using it as a test to get an approximate time on how long a portrait takes me.  I am building my portfolio so that I can someday put it up on Etsy and commission portraits that way, and by have a good idea of what I can do in what length of time I will have a good grasp on a pricing scale. Where the painting stands now, including the work that went into what is pictured above, I am roughly about 3.5 hours in, and doing well. Should have it completed this evening or tomorrow.  At this point, I am very excited about it and can't wait to finish up to share with my customer and all of you! 

Check back in a few days for the final image!

No comments:

Post a Comment