Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Playing with Watercolor

This weeks images are from an experiment.  Not being very familiar with watercolor paints, I decided to play around with them a bit. This first attempt I let the watercolor flow and be organic in some areas, such as the wings. For the background I used a technique I learned when working with dyes on silk, which is using salt to absorb the moisture, leaving a texture behind.
 

I was not satisfied with the out come of this first layer because the colors were too muted and pastel.  After some time, I decided to go back over some areas with gouache.  Since I have a little more experience with gouache, I was a little more successful in achieving the bold colors I was after.
I am slightly happier with the outcome with the second layer.  I player around with complimentary colors to make it pop a little more.  I still do not think the image is completed though.  I think I might go into it yet again, this time maybe with colored pencil or water color pencil.  Something to add a little definition to some areas, like the head and legs.  I feel those are lacking something.

 Maybe I will be more successful with the gargoyle on my next try.  For the time being though, I think I will set this one aside and go back to what I am familiar with for the next post. So come back soon and see my next pencil portrait!

No comments:

Post a Comment