Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Portrait A Week



Ok, so I've decided to do a portrait a week in addition to anything else I might come up with.  I want to really practice drawing the face until it becomes second nature to me.  I would eventually like to have enough of a portfolio to put it up online and do commissioned portraits for a living-ish.  This is something I've always been encouraged to do, and have thought of over and over myself, but have always been hesitant to do.  Well, not anymore. I'm finally going for it .  I always say I want a job I enjoy doing, and this is definately it.  It's always been my go-to gift for friends and family for special occasions, so now I'm going to encourage other people to do the same by commissioning me!

This weeks portrait subject is Howard Hughes. A couple of weeks ago I was doing so research on aviation for ideas for drawings and came across him.  For anyone unfamilar with him (like I was) I'll give a little history, a la wikipedia. Hughes (1905-1976)  was once one of the wealthiest people in the world.  In the 1920's he became a film producer, often making controversial and big budget movies.  What brought my attention to him was the fact that he played a very influential role in aviation history.  He set mutliple air speed records, built mulitple planes, and owned Trans World Airlines, which later merged with American Airlines.  Hughes also suffered from obsessive-complusive disorder that drove him to live an eccentric and hermit like life. Obviously, there is much more to the story, but I'll let you do that research yourselves. 

Not every portrait will have as much of a back story as this one, but I hope that they will each bring enjoyment to you, the viewer.  I would like to get a wide range of faces into my portfolio, so if anyone has any sugestions as to what/who they would like to see me draw, let me know! Animals too!

1 comment:

  1. This is really beautiful! You have wonderful talent. I would love a portrait of my boys one day.

    ReplyDelete